Sunday, October 28, 2012

Blog with the Blastwave is an exercise in SciFi writing set in an alternate timeline. Despite what you may want to believe, this is not a real blog. It is a fake blog of the fictitious events that befall the "writer" as he, and the people he meets cope with the fallout of a post nuclear war environment. 

Comments are welcome and encouraged.

Without Further ado, the opening post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Forgive me, a lot of this is condensed from my journal over two days, quite frankly I'm surprised that the internet still exists, or that I could even connect to it.

Somehow, I managed to sleep through the end of the world, it wasn't my radio cutting to the emergency broadcast tone, or the rattling of the windows from the air-bursts that eventually woke me. It was the cold dead silence of an apartment devoid of electricity, no hum of electronics, no whir of the fridge compressor. That's what woke me up, not the crackle of the atom bomb or the drone of the air raid sirens. Somehow I managed to sleep through the third world war. And how am I typing this up you might ask with no power or internet? Well it's back on. I believe that PG&E sealed a pact with Beelzebub with the intent to provide and charge people for electrical power regardless of the state of affairs of the world. I have no doubt that at the end of the month I'll still get a bill for my power consumption, regardless of how much radiation the postman had to go through. Beyond that, a microwave was also part of my saving grace.

 A simple offbrand microwave with a small netbook and router stuffed inside it, unplugged and stored in my closet. This apparently saved the components in the laptop and router from being fried from an emp. I guess. That or the placement of the microwave, or something silly. I didn't focus my degree on electrical engineering so I don't know why or how. I was studying to chase deer and bears around with an electronic collar. For all I know it could have been the clothes, or the exploded bean burrito on the roof of the microwave.

The power came back on partway through the second day, almost all of the radio bands are static, though one of the rock stations from up in the mountains is still broadcasting. The DJ says he'll keep playing music to keep people's moods up. With the power on I can mess around on my laptop without running the battery down and keep my mind off what happened.

A Civil Defense announcement was patched through on the radio. Civilians are to remain in their shelters until  the radiation levels subside to 100 rads an hour.

Looking out the windows the sky is an oddly twisted blue to the north, and to the south I can see a red glow. I'm guessing the town my apartment is in wasn't important so it wasn't hit directly. From what I can tell based on the civil defense kit, the Geiger counter and dosimeter inside, that inside the apartment is relatively safe,   except for the one spot near the northern wall and the front door, the apartment's only reading at one rad every hour or so. The Northern wall, and the front door, if my math is right are reading at 500 rad an hour. So for now I'm going to hole up in the southern bedroom. As best I can tell that's the one room in the apartment that I'll be exposed to the least amount of radiation, well for now. Going to try and sleep now. Wonder if anyone else has figured out the internet still exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment